Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Sweet Beginning to a Sweet Weekend

Sorry in advance for the brevity of this post...my overnight colectivo (bus) leaves in an hour and a half and I still need to finish packing!! Luckily my job is such that I can do most of the work on my own anytime, anyplace (anyplace that has internet, that is), so I can easily make up the hours I'm going to miss tomorrow. Plus, Monday is a National feriado (holiday) here, so my trip to the land of Good Airs got unexpectedly extended! It might sound terrible, the thought of taking an overnight bus, but actually, the long-distance buses here are fantastic. The seats are comfy and big, and there's usually a movie. Plus, as I really want to be sure that I will arrive rested, I splurged and bought a seat on a Coche Suite, where the seats actually recline to flat and you get a hot meal. Who knows, I might even go for a white wine to make sure my eyes are nice and closed by around 11:30.

I knew it was going to be a great weekend when I finally came up with a great, topic-and-time appropriate subject for my summer work project. Unlike most legal internships, mine has given me a lot of latitude in choosing where to place my focus this summer. At first, it was a little frustrating because not only do I not have much experience with human rights or environmental law, I was afraid I would have to work primarily with Spanish documents. Don't get me wrong, I LOVEEEEEE speaking Spanish, but reading in Spanish is a whole other ballgame. There are so many words used in print that I've never heard in conversation, so I'm constatly heading to Wordreference.com (the best site translation site EVER) to look up complex vocab. Anyway, I think I have a great idea, but I'll tell you about it when I have more concretely figured out the main topic (my thesis if you will) and when I'm not running to catch a bus.

And so now back to my title. Today, as I was leaving work, I saw a new churros stand set up on the corner. At first I didn't really think twice about it; I've eaten churros plenty of times in Spain, but then something made me do a double-take: it turns out, these were churros filled with dulce de leche (which, if you've never had, btw, is like caramel, but 1000000 times better). Originally I ordered just one, but the guy warned me "you're really going to regret getting just one," so I got two. MADRE MARIA DE DIOSSSS these things are amazing. If that stand is now a permanent fixture, I'm coming back fat. Period. I don't care. Won't stop.

Anyway, I must be off. I'm really looking forward to telling you all more about my work, and, obviously, my trip to Buenos Aires.

Un abrazo fuerteeee a todos,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment